Parks Canada has informed the Friends of Fort George that they are planning the restoration of the Junior Commissariat Officer’s Quarters (JCOQ) at Butler’s Barracks, starting late summer.
The JCOQ is the oldest of only four remaining 19th century military buildings that make up Butler’s Barracks National Historic Site. It was built in 1816 by the Royal Engineers and was used by the military throughout the 19th and 20th centuries.
It is a wonderful example of Georgian era architecture with its simplistic, symmetrical, and balanced appearance.
The Friends of Fort George, in partnership with Parks Canada, held a special fundraising event there in June of 2015. Several thousand dollars were raised to contribute to the restoration of the building.
The good news is that the restoration and stabilization are due to start soon.
The initial objectives are to evaluate and correct structural elements such as failing timbers.
Parks Canada has announced that the building is currently under design review with Resource Conservation, Federal Heritage Building Review office and more. The estimated cost of the work is more than $1 million.