The Friends of Fort George and Parks Canada are commemorating the 207th anniversary of the Battle of Queenston Heights and the death of Major General Sir Isaac Brock Sunday, Oct. 13.
Brock’s Monument National Historic Site will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. all weekend. The monument, small museum and gift shop will be open; historical interpreters will be onsite; and there will be tours of the battle site.
The monument’s 235 stairs will also be open for climbing to the top to enjoy the scenic view of Queenston Heights and the Niagara River.
To commemorate the battle and the death of Major General Sir Isaac Brock, costumed interpreters will be offering commemorative tours of the battle site at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
This year also marks the 160th anniversary of the opening of Brock’s Monument. Started in 1853, the monument was completed in 1856, and officially opened to the public in 1859. To mark this anniversary, Ron Dale, former superintendent of Fort George National Historic Site, and board director of the Friends of Fort George, will be leading a special tour at 2 p.m. to talk about the history of the monument.
Tickets for the commemorative tours can be purchased from the staff at the base of the monument.
The cost for the tour is $3.50 for youth and $4.50 for adults. All proceeds from the programming at Brock’s Monument help support student summer employment opportunities at Brock’s Monument and Fort George.
For more information contact the Friends of Fort George at www.friendsoffortgeorge.ca or call 905-468-6621