The Ministry of Environment has informed the Town that test results have returned from the waterfront area of Ryerson Park, indicating no presence of blue-green algal bloom, a deadly bacteria that was believed to have possibly caused the death of a beloved family pet.
The testing was done last Wednesday, Aug. 12, following the sudden death of a dog whose veterinarian suspected was the result of exposure to toxic cyanobacteria from the algae.
Town environmental supervisor Brett Ruck says the Town was quick to react last week, posting a sign at Ryerson Park warning people to keep their dogs away from the waterfront. The bacteria is also a danger to humans.
Ruck said Tuesday, after hearing the test results, he doesn’t believe the water now poses a risk to people or their dogs. “I’d go in,” he said.
The bacteria that was being tested for is rare, he added.
However, the Town continues to remind the public that the park is not a designated beach, and water testing is not regularly conducted at that location, says Ruck.
The signage has changed to one of caution to an advisory, he says, noting that there is always a risk of contaminated water, especially after a big storm, which NOTL has seen recently.